Betley Court fire: Residents have 'lost everything'

Written by on August 29, 2019

Residents of apartments at a converted 18th century manor house say they have lost everything in a fire which engulfed the building.

They have been staying with friends and neighbours since the blaze gutted grade II-listed Betley Court Manor in Staffordshire last Friday.

About 20 people lived in the flats, including Jill Sutton who said: “Basically, my world has gone.”

The fire service said the blaze started accidentally during work to the roof.

Mrs Sutton, who had lived at the site for just over a year, said: “My treasured memories, my life with my husband who had passed away, all those memories and belongings – the only things I’d got left is what I was stood up in.

“When I saw [the damage], I was screaming, I was crying. The devastation of the building and how much damage the fire had caused – I was in total shock.”

About 40 firefighters tackled the flames at their peak, with all residents accounted for.

Among them was heavily-pregnant Sophie Thompson-Hyland. She said all baby items she had been collecting were “black and not redeemable”.

But she said support from the local community had been “overwhelming”.

Villager Neil Bullock said: “You want to do what you can to help and opening your house and making a bed available to somebody who has lost theirs is a very small thing to do.”

A fire service spokesperson said: “The fire at Betley court was caused accidentally by hot works that were being carried out in the roof space.”

Follow BBC West Midlands on Facebook, on Twitter, and sign up for local news updates direct to your phone.

Updates from the Cannock Chase Radio News Desk via BBC Stoke and Staffordshire

From: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-49498741


Cannock Chase Radio FM

The Greatest Hits And So Much More!

Current track

Title

Artist

Background