Man burned in 'gas explosion' at Coseley flat

Written by on December 17, 2019

A man was taken to hospital with serious injuries following a “gas explosion” at a Dudley flat.

West Midlands Fire Service said Monday night’s blaze in the ground-floor property of a two-storey block was severe.

The injured man suffered burns and was out of the flat on Siddons Road, Coseley, when crews arrived.

The fire service said a caller reported a gas explosion and its investigators were working to confirm what happened.

Fire broke out at about 23:45 GMT, with crews spending more than two hours at the site.

A fire service spokesperson said Dudley Council also attended “to find alternative accommodation for some other residents from the block and to secure the affected property”.

An authority spokesperson said: “Tenants had been evacuated as a precaution by crews, but the building was declared safe in the early hours of [Tuesday] by the fire service and the council’s housing maintenance team.”

Residents were allowed to return to their homes just after 02:00 GMT, he added.

Follow BBC West Midlands on Facebook, on Twitter, and sign up for local news updates direct to your phone.

Updates from the Cannock Chase Radio News Desk via BBC Birmingham and Black Country


Cannock Chase Radio FM

The Greatest Hits And So Much More!

Current track