Warning to pet owners after dog starts house fire in Cannock

Written by on November 26, 2019

A pet dog started a house fire by jumping up at the cooker while its owners were out.

The blaze broke out in the kitchen of a property on Winding House Drive, Cannock, on Wednesday (November 20) after the pet pooch managed to turn on three of the hob’s electrical rings.

Two packets of rice, which had been left on top, quickly caught fire at around 3.36pm.

Crews from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service were alerted by a neighbour who heard smoke alarms sounding – and managed to extinguish the flames before any real damage was done.


Video Loading

Watch manager Russ Brown, from Cannock Fire Station, said: “Fortunately this property had working smoke alarms which meant we were alerted to the incident at the earliest opportunity.

“The homeowner had also closed all of the bedroom and lounge doors so in turn the smoke was confined to the kitchen. Luckily, there was no significant damage to the kitchen and the family were able to go back into their home shortly after we’d put out the fire.

Read More

Top stories – Black Country

“This goes to show how our message about closing internal doors can prevent smoke and fire from spreading.

“This is not the first time we have been to a fire caused by pets jumping up at the cooker, so we are asking the public to ensure there are no flammable items left on or near the hob, and if they have to shut animals in the kitchen area it is important to isolate all appliances and ensure they cannot accidentally be turned on.”

Updates from the Cannock Chase Radio News Desk via Birmingham Mail - Cannock News

From: https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/warning-pet-owners-after-dog-17319427


Cannock Chase Radio FM

The Greatest Hits And So Much More!

Current track

Title

Artist

Background